Monday, January 13, 2014

Austin Turns 3!!

Well, I can't believe it, but we have a three year old! How did he get to be so big and smart. Looking back it feels like way less than three years. However, I don't really remember what it was like before he was born. He is our everything!

We all went to the store to pick out what kind of cake he wanted, like the shape. At Micheal's there was too many cake pans to choose from. He just kept grabbing different ones saying that was the one he wanted. Finally, we narrowed it down to three: a train, Lighting McQueen, and a monkey. He picked Lighting. After we bought the cake mix (Funfetti), we came home. I started that night on the cake.

The pan all prepped
Now, this cake was quite the task. It told you how much of each different color frosting you would need, and there was like 10 different colors listed. I decided to cake the frosting from scratch. However, after getting home I realized all I had was lard, not shortening.... Never use lard to make frosting. It tasted fine that night, but after a few days it was gross!

I decorated Austin's door the night before, and filled the hallway with balloons. He had been talking about his birthday for weeks, so I wanted to make it special! He was so excited when he walked out of his room the next morning. Side note: the gloves on his hands are to stop him from picking at his nails - Doctors orders.



 He even got a special birthday hat! This was the only time I could get him to keep it on longer than a few seconds. By the end of the day, the string to go over the chin was off, and the ribbons at the top were almost gone.

That night we had one of Austin's friends over for cake and ice cream. His friend helped him open the presents. Austin wouldn't turn around and look at me, instead, he put all the presents on the couch and faced it to open them. Silly boy!


Then it was time for the cake! Ignore the frosting mess on the sides, by that point I didn't care. It took forever to frost the top!



Happy birthday buddy! Mom and dad love you so much and we are blessed to be your parents!!

No comments:

Post a Comment